Sunday, July 1, 2007

Alternative WYISWYG editor for Wordpress 2.2 series

Today I upgraded my site to Wordpress 2.2.1 and everything worked great, except for tinymce editor. This visual rich text editor or commonly called WYSIWYG is totally missing. It is perhaps better said to be What You Don't See Is What You Get. Well, this is surely a modification of the TinyMCE JavaScript WYSIWG text editor. And the WP project team modified the standard distribution in ways that tend to break the linkage with independent TinyMCE developments, limit available functionality, and change the editor’s behavior, and finally mess up with this release unless I made some stupid mistakes in the upgrade process, of course.

I tried to find some answers to the problem. As this only happens in real production environtment. It was fine in development stage.

The first is this wordpress forum. A lot of suggestions and I was just too confused.

Still wondering around and look for other easy solutions, I go to Advanced Tinymce Editor to be prompted with the problem of the editor width itself. Everything is great here. It reminds me of the famous joomla WYSIWYG editor. Whatever you want to handle with editing, it is simply there. Yet, it's just too wide for me.

I tried another tinymce by munbomb.com, it is just exactly what I need. It has some added features:

  1. Color picker
  2. Background color
  3. Emoticons
  4. Dictionary
  5. Pagination shortcut icon

The HTML or Code window is a pop up, but it doesn't disturb your editing process. All is still in the main window.

Great job, mudbomb!

1 comments:

keeyit said...

Hi,

I got errors after install the plugins. I cannot insert image file from my local drive. My wordpress is 2.2.1.

Below is the error that I get :

Not a valid image file.PHP Warning: unlink() [function.unlink]: Permission denied in C:\domains\keeyit.com\wwwroot\wp-admin\iimage-browser.php on line 815 please advise.Thanks.